Tuesday, June 22, 2010

World Cup 2010

The FIFA World Cup is nearing its last final group stage game and my body is beginning to takes its toll from late night stay up. In Malaysia, games started as early as 7.30 pm until 9.30 pm. Then there's the 10.00 pm - 12.00 am game. After that there's a 2.30 am kick off. While waiting for the 2.30 am, I would browse the internet or watching HBO movies. Managed to watch almost all the live games. When I didn't watch the 2.30 am games, the first thing I would do is to watch the World Cup News at 7.00 am to catch the highlights of the game.

In this World Cup edition, we have several goalkeeper blunders due to the Jabulani's too hot to handle. And then we have the red cards, and of course the unexpected results, such as the All White draw with Italy, Swiss win over France. We also have the dressing rooms incident and team rows such as France refusal to train after Anelka's dismissal from the team and England's Terry comments on Capello tactics. It's hard to manage a superstar team full of egos but lack of comitment.

Take a look at England, big names playing for big clubs that could do plenty of magic. But they fail to deliver, seems physically inferior compared to their opponents such as the game against Algeria, lack of motivation. They played is if they are reserving their strength and energy for a semi final showdown, what a dream because they could not go that far, they just thought they could.

In my opinion, I think that those England players lacked the commitment to play for their national team, they only commit to their clubs because their clubs pay huge wages, they could not be bothered to win a World Cup because a domestic league title or an European Club Championship is much more better, it promises them better salaries, and maybe their club managers had told them to avoid injury so that they won't mess up with their respective club plans.

Next time select Championships players to play for England because Premier League big stars are all just for publicity stint.

No comments:

Update of Me

Time has passed since I last visited. I've been so preoccupied with other things that I've forgotten about this blog. Many things ha...